Thursday, November 11, 2010

Quick Chicken and Chorizo Tacos

I haven't posted a recipe in a while, and one of my new favorite ones that I threw together recently was chicken and chorizo tacos.  I thought this would be a good combination, and Teddy and I thought it was my best tacos yet.

Ingredients:

Meat Mixture:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts chopped into bite size pieces
7 - 8 oz of Mexican chorizo
1 sweet onion diced
1 package of taco seasoning (I used McCormick original taco seasoning mix)
1 tablespoon of olive oil

Taco fix'ns:
Corn tortillas
Shredded cheese
diced tomatoes
lettuce
sour cream
salsa

I heated a saute pan with chipotle flavored olive oil and added the onions seasoned with salt and pepper.  Once these started to become transparent I added the chicken.  When the chicken was about fully cooked, I added in the chorizo.  You have to break it up a bit with your spoon when you first add it in so that it is spread evenly in the mixture and coats each piece of chicken.  After the sausage started to brown and spices cooked down a little I added the taco seasoning package according to the directions on the package.  I let this simmer for 3 - 4 minutes and it was ready to go. 

I toasted the tortillas on my stove top for a few seconds and then put together the tacos with whatever our favorite fix'ns were.  Corn tortillas were a good choice with this mixture.  I think the corn flavor really balanced out the spicy richness of the taco meat mixture.

Our favorite salsa as of late is Frontera's medium salsa.  It has a great smokey flavor that complimented the taco seasoning really well. 

Tacos are a great weekday meal as I had them all cooked and ready to go in about 30 minutes including prep time, and you can also get great flavor by letting the grocery store help you a little, like I did with the taco seasoning mix and already shredded cheese. 

The best part was that we had leftovers.  Later in the week I used them to make burrito rice bowls, which was another great way to use the meat mix I created.  And that dinner was on the table even faster with even less effort and just as good the first time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment